November 29, 2012

Important Note for Minors Traveling to Mexico

The following important travel information has been posted on the Mexican Embassy website.


Based on the entry into force of the Regulations of the new Migration Law on November 9, 2012, please note that Mexican or foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, other) must present, in addition to a valid passport, a document showing the consent of both parents or those with parental authority or guardianship over the minor. If the document is issued in Canada it must be notarized, legalized by the Mexican Consulate or Embassy, and translated into Spanish.

The text of this document must contain the parents’ express authorization for the minor to travel alone or, if applicable, information on the adult who is authorized to be responsible for the minor during the trip. The document must state the purpose and length of the trip, and specify the dates of entry and departure, as this will be a requirement for allowing the minor to leave Mexican territory.

Minors travelling with at least one of their parents do not require any authorization at all.

Tags: ,