December 7, 2012

Updated travel information for Mexico

The following information is from the Mexican Embassy Website:

Based on the entry into force of the Regulations of the Mexican Migration Law, beginning February 16, 2013 Mexican or foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, other) must present, in addition to a valid passport, a document showing the consent of both parents or those with parental authority or guardianship over the minor. If the document is issued in Canada it must be notarized, legalized by the Mexican Consulate or Embassy in Canada, and translated into Spanish.

The text of this document must contain the parents’ express authorization for the minor to travel alone or, if applicable, information on the adult who is authorized to be responsible for the minor during the trip. The document must state the purpose and length of the trip, and specify the dates of entry and departure, as this will be a requirement for allowing the minor to leave Mexican territory.

Minors travelling with at least one of their parents do not require any authorization at all.

In light of the difficulty in meeting these new requirements in a short timeframe during the December holiday season, Mexican immigration authorities will, until February 15, 2013, allow minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or with a third party to enter and leave Mexican territory with the presentation of their valid passport.